Acting as a source of information for other organizations, governments, shipping companies and professional bodies, IMHA aims to:
- Work for improvement in health and medical follow-up of all employees in the maritime industry.
- Encourage scientific research in maritime health.
- Promote the exchange of ideas and results from research projects.
- Assist by providing maritime medical expertise for the preparation of reports and guidelines in the maritime field.
- Promote the development of quality international medical services and systems in maritime sector.
- Assist with the international coordination of maritime health initiatives.
- Encourage and facilitate education and training on maritime health
- Know it, Share it!
- To further its goals and objectives, IMHA has adopted the following as its policy:
- IMHA recognizes the fact that action to safeguard maritime health rests with international bodies such as the IMO, ILO, WHO and organizations representing ship owners and seafarers.
- IMHA members help these bodies both with the development of policy and by providing the expertise to put it into practice.
- At the national level, maritime administrations, trade unions, employers and academic and professional bodies all play a part
- Locally, owners, masters, port health authorities and welfare organizations contribute.
- Promotion of maritime safety
- Maintenance and promotion of seafarers' careers and welfare
- Reducing the risks of accidents and ill health onboard or caused by maritime working conditions including the spread of infections
- Treatment of accidents and illness at sea
- Meeting passenger health needs